George Lakoff, UC Professor of Cognitive Science and Linguistics, is a renowned expert in neural theory of language and thought. His perspective on how to frame issues and respond to our current crisis is helpful. You may have seen his 10 point list going around Facebook:
1. If you repeat Trump, it helps to spread his message. Never use his language – use your own words and values to reframe the conversation.
2. This is a regime, and he’s not acting alone.
3. Do not argue with those who support him; it doesn’t work.
4. Focus on his policies, not his orange-ness and mental state.
5. Keep your message positive; the administration wants the country to be angry and fearful because this is the soil from which their darkest policies will grow.
6. Minimize helpless-hopeless-apocalyptic talk.
7. Support artists and the arts.
8. Be careful not to spread fake news; check it.
9. Take care of yourselves.
10. And #Resist!
Lakoff’s most recent blog – I would underline his point that “The best resistance is positive persistence.” can read be read online at https://georgelakoff.com/blog/